The Roman Catholic Diocese of Port-Vila in Vanuatu is a suffragan diocese of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Nouméa. It was erected in 1901 as the Prefecture Apostolic of New Hebrides and elevated to a Vicariate Apostolic in 1904. In 1966, it was elevated as the Diocese of Port-Vila. The first Catholic mission in Vanuatu was started in 1887 at Mele on Efate, by the Marist Father Le Forestier S.M., three other Marist priests and a brother. The greatest growth of Catholic converts took place in the North, where the French influence was strong.
Latitude: -17° 44' 2.99" S
Longitude: 168° 19' 11.40" E
Nearest city to this article: Port Vila Read about Roman Catholic Diocese of Port-Vila in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Roman Catholic Diocese of Port-Vila in Google Maps