The Stone Bridge was a bridge built in 1907 in Rhode Island that carried RI 138 over the Sakonnet River between Portsmouth and Tiverton. It was severely damaged by Hurricane Carol in 1954, and replaced in 1956 by the Sakonnet River Bridge, which was under construction at the time of the hurricane, located 0.8 mi (1.3 km) to the north. The span was closed to marine traffic after the hurricane. After inspection, it was decided to close the bridge to bus and truck traffic on January 13, 1955. It was then closed to all vehicles on January 18, 1955. Pedestrians were allowed to walk across.
Latitude: 41° 37' 32.63" N
Longitude: -71° 13' 1.78" W
Nearest city to this article: Tiverton, Rhode Island Read about Stone Bridge (Rhode Island) in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Stone Bridge (Rhode Island) in Google Maps