The earliest electric railway, or streetcar line, in Northern Virginia opened in 1892. At their peak, when merged into a single interurban system (the Washington-Virginia Railway), the successors of this and several other lines ran between downtown Washington, D.C., Rosslyn and Arlington Junction – in present day Crystal City – and out to Mount Vernon, Fairfax City and Nauck (in Arlington County). Electric trolleys also went west from Georgetown and Rosslyn on the Washington and Old Dominion Railway's (W&OD's) Bluemont Division via Leesburg to the town of Bluemont at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains. In addition, electric trolleys of the W&OD's Great Falls Division traveled from Georgetown and Rosslyn via Cherrydale and McLean to Great Falls Park (see: Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad).
Latitude: 38° 42' 38.81" N
Longitude: -77° 05' 11.73" W
Nearest city to this article: Mount Vernon, Virginia Read about Northern Virginia trolleys in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Northern Virginia trolleys in Google Maps