The Castro Theatre is a popular San Francisco movie palace which became San Francisco Historic Landmark #100 in September 1976. Located at 429 Castro Street, in the Castro district, it was built in 1922 with a Spanish Colonial Baroque façade that pays homage—in its great arched central window surmounted by a scrolling pediment framing a niche—to the recently rebuilt basilica of Mission Dolores nearby. Its designer, Timothy L. Pflueger, also designed Oakland's Paramount Theater and other movie theaters in California in that period. The theater has over 1,400 seats (approx 800 downstairs and 600 in the balcony). The theater's ceiling is the last known "leatherette" ceiling in the USA & possibly the world. Another "leatherette" ceiling was unfortunately demolished just a few years ago.
Latitude: 37° 45' 43.20" N
Longitude: -122° 26' 6.00" W
Nearest city to this article: San Francisco Read about Castro Theatre in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Castro Theatre in Google Maps