Coyoacán ( kojoă'kan ) refers to one of the 16 boroughs (delegaciones) of the Federal District of Mexico City as well as the former village which is now the borough’s “historic center.” The name comes from Nahuatl and most likely means “place of coyotes,” when the Aztecs named a pre-Hispanic village on the southern shore of Lake Texcoco which was dominated by the Tepanec people. Against Aztec domination, these people welcomed Hernán Cortés and the Spanish, who used the area as a headquarters during the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire and made it the first capital of New Spain between 1521 and 1523. The village, later municipality, of Coyoacan remained completely independent of Mexico City through the colonial period into the 19th century. In 1857, the area was incorporated into the Federal District when this district was expanded. In 1928, the borough was created when the Federal District was divided into sixteen boroughs. The urban sprawl of Mexico City reached the borough in the mid 20th century, turning farms, former lake and forests into developed areas, but many of the former villages have kept their original layouts, plazas and narrow streets and have conserved structure built from the 16th to the early 20th centuries.
Latitude: 19° 20' 34.80" N
Longitude: -99° 09' 25.20" W
Nearest city to this article: Coyoacán Read about Coyoacán in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Coyoacán in Google Maps