The Villa d'Este, originally Villa del Garovo, is a Renaissance patrician residence in Cernobbio on the shores of Lake Como, northern Italy. Both the villa and the 25-acre (100,000 m2) park which surrounds it have undergone significant changes since their sixteenth-century origins as a summer residence for the Cardinal of Como. Nevertheless, visiting the garden in 1903 for Century Magazine, Edith Wharton found this to be the ‘the only old garden on Como which keeps more than a fragment of its original architecture’, and noted that ‘though Queen Caroline anglicised part of the grounds, the main lines of the Renaissance garden still exist’.
Latitude: 45° 50' 25.13" N
Longitude: 9° 04' 28.58" E
Nearest city to this article: Cernobbio Read about Villa d'Este (Cernobbio) in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Villa d'Este (Cernobbio) in Google Maps