The ‘’’Norman-Swabian Castle’’’ of Sannicandro di Bari is located in the medieval part of town, between the characteristics houses with external staircases, surrounded by the ancient Swabian moat, filled and turned into a street in 1836. It is composed of two distinct parts, put into each other, built in separate periods by the Byzantines and the Swabians. Its construction dates back to 916, the initiative of the Byzantine general Niccolo Piccingli, who had ordered the construction of a fortress for the defence of Apulia by the Saracens. It was located north of the small township of Sannicandro that, just in a century and a half, developed at the edge of the ruins of the ancient castle Mezardo.
Latitude: 40° 59' 59.35" N
Longitude: 16° 47' 54.54" E
Nearest city to this article: Sannicandro di Bari Read about Castello Normanno-Svevo (Sannicandro di Bari) in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Castello Normanno-Svevo (Sannicandro di Bari) in Google Maps