Ortygia (Italian: Ortigia) is a small island which is the historical centre of the city of Syracuse, Sicily. The island, also known as Città Vecchia (Old City), contains many historical landmarks.
Articles of interest in Augusta
11 Articles of interest near Augusta, ItalyShow all articles in the map
The Ear of Dionysius (Italian: Orecchio di Dionisio) is a limestone cave carved out of the Temenites hill in the city of Syracuse, on the island of Sicily in Italy.
Megara Hyblaea (Ancient Greek: τὰ Μέγαρα) – perhaps identical with Hybla Major – is the name of an ancient Greek colony in Sicily, situated near Augusta on the east coast, 20 kilometres (12 mi) north-northwest of Syracuse, Italy, on the deep bay for…
The Castello Maniace is a citadel and castle in Syracuse, Sicily. It is situated at the far point of the Ortygia island promintary, where it was constructed between 1232 and 1240 by the Emperor Frederick II. It bears the name of George Maniakes, the…
The Anapo (Sicilian: Ànapu) is a river in Sicily whose name, which in Greek signifies "invisible", derives from the fact that for many parts of its course it runs underground.
The Simeto (Italian pronunciation: [siˈmɛːto]; Sicilian: Simetu Latin: Symaethus; Greek Σύμαιθος) is a 113-kilometre (70 mi) long river in Sicily, southern Italy. It is the second longest river on the island after the Salso (also known as Southern I…
The Ciane (Sicilian: Ciani) is a short river in southern Sicily, Italy.
Cassibile Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield in Italy, which is located in the vicinity of Syracuse on the island of Sicily. Its precise location was unknown until, in June 2012, Mr.
The Palazzo Beneventano del Bosco is a large townhouse at Syracuse in Sicily, Italy. The building dates from the Middle Ages, when it was constructed for the Arezzo family.
Syracuse War Cemetery is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission burial ground for the dead of World War II located near Syracuse on the island of Sicily.
The Gornalunga is an 81-kilometre-long (50 mi) river located in central-eastern Sicily.