Latitude and longitude of Wood Quay
- Nearby Donnybrook, Ireland
Satellite map of Wood Quay
Wood Quay (Irish: An Ché Adhmaid) is a riverside area of Dublin that was a site of Viking settlement. The site is bounded on the north side by Wood Quay on the River Liffey, on the west by Winetavern Street, on the south by John's Lane and on the east by Fishamble Street. Dublin Corporation acquired Wood Quay gradually between 1950 and 1975, finally announcing that it would be the location of their new offices. Large-scale archaeological excavations were conducted on the site by the National Museum of Ireland at intervals between 1974 and 1981. Finds made during the excavations of the site led to a massive, but ultimately unsuccessful, public campaign to halt the development. Artefacts from the excavations are now on display in the National Museum of Ireland. Most of the quay is now entirely occupied by Dublin City Council's Civic Offices. Two bridges cross the river at Wood Quay, one at the eastern and the other at the western end. The bridge at the eastern end is Grattan Bridge, formerly known as Essex Bridge, named after Henry Grattan, the famous Irish parliamentarian of the 18th century. This bridge which resembles Westminster Bridge in London was until the 18th century the most easterly and therefore the closest to the sea of the Liffey Bridges.
Latitude: 53° 20' 42.00" N
Longitude: -6° 16' 15.60" W
Nearest city to this article: Dublin Read about Wood Quay in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Wood Quay in Google Maps