Articles near the latitude and longitude of Grytviken

Satellite map of Grytviken

Grytviken (Swedish for "the Pot Bay") is a settlement in the British territory of South Georgia in the South Atlantic. It was so named in 1902 by the Swedish surveyor Johan Gunnar Andersson who found old English try pots used to render seal oil at the site. It is the best harbour on the island, consisting of a bay (King Edward Cove) within a bay (Cumberland East Bay). The site is quite sheltered, provides a substantial area of flat land suitable for building, and has a good supply of fresh water.

Population: 20

Latitude: -54° 16' 53.40" S
Longitude: -36° 30' 28.80" W

Read about Grytviken in the Wikipedia

GPS coordinates of Grytviken, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

Download as JSON

Articles of interest in Grytviken

87 Articles of interest near Grytviken, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

Show all articles in the map
  • Islet Point

    Islet Point is a headland forming the east side of the entrance to Carlita Bay, Cumberland West Bay, on the north coast of South Georgia. The name appears to be first used on a 1929 British Admiralty chart and probably derives from the islet just o…

  • Hound Bay

    Hound Bay (Norwegian: Bikjebugten) is a bay, which is 2.5 miles (4 km) wide at its mouth and recedes 3 miles (5 km), entered between Tijuca Point and Cape Vakop along the north coast of South Georgia. The names "George Bay" and "Hundebugten" have ap…

  • Hestesletten

    Hestesletten (54°18′S36°31′W) is a glacial plain between the Hamberg Lakes and Cumberland East Bay, South Georgia. It is covered with tussock and is almost 2 miles (3.2 km) long in a northeast–southwest direction and 0.75 miles (1.2 km) wide.

  • Harrison Point

    Harrison Point is a point marked by a string of off-lying rocks, lying 1.5 nautical miles (3 km) west of Busen Point on the south side of Stromness Bay, South Georgia. It was charted in 1927 by Discovery Investigations (DI) personnel and named "Matt…

  • Harpon Bay

    Harpon Bay is a bay 1 nautical mile (2 km) wide, lying just east of Mercer Bay in the south part of Cumberland West Bay, South Georgia. It was first mapped by the Swedish Antarctic Expedition, 1901–04, under Otto Nordenskiöld.

  • Gulbrandsen Lake

    Gulbrandsen Lake is a lake 0.5 miles (0.8 km) long lying north of Neumayer Glacier in South Georgia. It is now an empty basin; the moraine and or ice dam formed by the Neumeyer Glacier no longer contains this lake. It was charted and named "White Ci…

  • Fusilier Mountain

    Fusilier Mountain is a mountain rising to 810 metres (2,660 ft) on the north side of Heaney Glacier, 2.7 nautical miles (5 km) west of Mount Skittle, on the north coast of South Georgia. The field name "Dome Mountain" was used by the South Georgia S…

  • Ems Rock

    Ems Rock (54°10′S36°35′W) is a rock midway between Harrison Point and Busen Point in the south part of Stromness Bay, South Georgia. It was charted by Discovery Investigations personnel under Lieutenant Commander J.M.

  • Echo Pass

    Echo Pass (54°17′S36°33′W) is a pass, 305 metres (1,000 ft) in elevation, lying 1.5 miles (2.4 km) southwest of Grytviken, South Georgia, in the chain of mountains which extends southwest from Mount Hodges. The pass provides a ski route from the st…

  • Cumberland West Bay

    Cumberland West Bay is a bay forming the western arm of Cumberland Bay, South Georgia. It is entered southward of Larsen Point, where it is 2.5 miles (4 km) wide, and extends 7 miles (11 km) in a southwest direction. This feature was surveyed by the…

  • Carlita Bay

    Carlita Bay is a small bay in the west side of Cumberland West Bay, South Georgia, just west of Islet Point. The feature was earlier named Horseshoe Bay, probably during the survey of Cumberland West Bay by HMS Dartmouth in 1920, but this name was l…

  • Bucentaur Rock

    Bucentaur Rock (54°9′S36°33′W) is the outermost of three rocks lying close northeast of Busen Point, at the southeast side of the entrance to Stromness Bay, South Georgia. The name Low Rock was given for this feature during a survey in 1927, but th…