Storyville was the red-light district of New Orleans, Louisiana from 1897 to 1917. It was established by municipal ordinance under the New Orleans City Council, to regulate prostitution and drugs. Alderman Sidney Story, a City Councilman, wrote guidelines and legislation to control prostitution within the city. The ordinance did not legalize prostitution, but rather designated a sixteen block area as the part of the city in which it was not illegal. The area was originally referred to as "The District", but its nickname, "Storyville", soon caught on. It was bound by the streets of North Robertson, Iberville, Basin, and St. Louis and was found between the French Quarter and Interstate 10. It was located by a train station, making it a popular destination for travelers throughout the city, and became a centralized attraction in the heart of New Orleans. Only a few of its remnants are now visible.
Latitude: 29° 57' 32.69" N
Longitude: -90° 04' 25.73" W
Nearest city to this article: New Orleans Read about Storyville, New Orleans in the Wikipedia Satellite map of Storyville, New Orleans in Google Maps